Tuesday, February 26, 2008

International film festival - I

Film: On the wings of dreams[Swapnodanay]
(2007, Bangla, Bangladesh, 88 mins)
Director: Golam Biplab Rabbany

A very simplistic tale on the complexities of life. I am glad I went without any expectations, I could appreciate it to the fullest. I think it’s a good way of viewing art films, not doing any research about the story or the director. Makes you more open and broadens your perspective.
A very well directed and acted film. It was my first ..’a Bangladeshi film’..hopefully not the last. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. It didn’t feel very alien as the language was bangla with a slight difference in pronounciation (that’s what I assumed).
when the movie began, somehow with its look, I was skeptical but the story slowly grows on you. The characters seem more personal. It’s like meeting someone for the first time to that someone becoming your friend.
The story revolves around a man and his wife in a small village, where most people’s lives are inter-connected. And how they(husband and wife) build dreams on the prospects of attaining money. And the dream of that money complicates their simple life and creates issues. As the story progressed, I kept having my own ideas on the climax. I think the director expected the viewer to form ideas because of the pace of his film. I was worried that he’ll make the ending very dramatic or extremely distressing (as it is usual with art films). But he surprised me by keeping it simplistic to the end. At the same time it made me ponder. Filled my mind with some questions. Does money, progress complicates life? At the end of the day, isn’t life simply about three meals a day..or helping you to survive? Or is it really complicated than that? Or do we make it complex?

No comments: